Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sweet Seats: Three Shabby Chairs Get Glammed, Part 1


When one at a time our families came over, we began noticing we didn't have enough chairs. Then, on New Years Eve, when everyone came together, it was painfully obvious.

Time for a chair chase! Little did I know how much work I was in for...

I went to a great thrift store nearby that exists to offer jobs to special needs adults. They always have the most amazing stuff, and the staff is wonderful.

The last one of a set, this chair was reduced to $14.99, so I snapped it up. It was loose and rickety...but a few nails should remedy that, right? WRONG.
You can't nail a chair together. It has to be glued.
So, I stopped there. You see, the beauty of chalk paint is no prep. This was going to be a lot of prep. Not what I bargained for...well, maybe. But, I plead inexperience!

Then like, a week later, I thought. OK. Let's do this.

I took it completely apart, sanded the joints to remove old paint and glue. (NOTE: label each of the joints by number with masking tape before taking it apart or you will be sorry!)


I discovered that what I had thought was some hybrid of baby food and 70s olive-mustard was really just a worn out gold. Too bad, so sad. 


Then I painted the frame with the same homemade off-white chalk paint (aka plaster paint) as before. Distressed w/220 grit; finished with wax.


I had to reconstruct the upper right top because it had been damaged somewhere long ago. I used a vinyl spackle and sanded it down lightly after it dried, to match the other side. You can't even tell! Shocked, this one was.



I wanted to stain the seat, so I stripped it (YUCK what a MESS) and sanded it until it shone...and under all that was a beautiful maple with excellent grain flow and just tons of exquisite pink tones. Who would paint such a gorgeous chair!?

And then I stained it. LoL



A few coats of wipe-on poly, a few shots with the nail gun to attach the seat, and voila! Gorgeous, solid, sound, hardwood chair.



Things I learned from this project:
  1. Stripping is a monster. I used a spray-on stripper. Next time (if there is one...) trying Citrustrip, as recommended by 5 out of 6 furniture bloggers. ;)
  2. Only buy sound, solid furniture. Rickety, shaky stuff is only worth the discount if it's really really beautiful and really really cheap...which it so happens this turned out to be. *Phew!*
  3. Chairs are tough. They have tons of crevices, corners, angles, and surfaces. They take a long time. You will think of them as your children by the time it's done. Undertake only in times of necessity.
  4. Inspect all surfaces. What may look nice and smooth from 2-3 feet away may be hiding very rough edges you have to sand a lot. Not a deal-breaker, but definitely a note-to-self.

No comments:

Post a Comment